Frequently Asked Questions​

  • I damaged my recharge card, what can I do?

    Call us on 156 and our agent will be happy to assist you.

  • I`ve lost my FRiENDI mobile SIM, what can I do?

    Visit our distributor shops and they will assist you to get a SIM replacement our stores

  • Is there any cost on the SIM replacement request?

    this will cost you 5KD

  • If I face any issue or if I need more information, how can I reach you?

    You can reach us:
    1. By calling our Member Care 156 locally and +965-41000156 internationally.
    2. By sending an email to [email protected]